Mining Oil and Gas Jobs Home | Blog | Contact Us
Mining Oil and Gas Jobs BlogMining Jobs
Mining & MetalsOil, Gas & EnergyConstructionLife in AustraliaCareer ResourcesTraining & Development

Residency & Entry Regulations - Required Documents


Assessing Your Skills with VETASSESS
Coming to Australia?
Daily Life in Australia Explained
Visas to Work and Live in Australia
Government, Geography and Key Industry Locations

Get our blog delivered to your inbox

Required Documents

What documents do you need?

Every Visa application submitted to the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship requires supporting documents. This article describes those documents and the steps you must take to ensure they will be accepted with your application.

Required Documents

As well as a completed application form and relevant fees (if necessary), you will have to submit a collection of documents with the forms.

Proof of Identity

A certified copy of your birth registration showing both parents’ names is required. If your birth certificate is not available, one of the following is required:

  • passport
  • family book showing both parents’ names
  • identification document issued by the government
  • document issued by a court that verifies your identity


Two recent passport-sized photographs (45mm x 35mm) of yourself and any other person included in the application (and 4 photos of each person if health examinations have not been completed). These should be of the head and shoulders only, and should show the person facing the camera and positioned against a plain background. The name of the person should be written on the reverse of the image.

Employment References

Copies of employment references must be included in your application.

Marital Status

If you are married, or have been married, you must provide certified copies of the marriage certificate(s). If you have been divorced or widowed, you must provide a certified copy of the Divorce Decree Absolute or the Death Certificate of the deceased partner.

Evidence of Name Change

If you have changed your name, either through marriage or by deed poll, you must provide a certified copy of evidence of the name change.

Birth Certificates

You will need to provide certified copies of birth certificates showing names of both parents, for all the children included in the application. If any child included in the application is adopted, certified copies of the adoption papers must also be provided.

Medical/X-ray Examinations

You must submit completed medical and x-ray examinations for all those included in your application. See Health Requirements at the DIAC website for more information.

Police Clearance

You must provide an authorized police check for each person aged 16 years or over. As well as this, you have to provide similar evidence for any dependent family members not included in the application for each country (including Australia) in which they have lived for more than 12 months over the past 10 years. This is a complex issue but you can find more information at the DIAC website under Penal Clearance Requirements.

Military Service Records

If you have served in the armed forces of any country, certified copies of military service record or discharge papers must be included with your application.

Certification of Documents

All these documents must be copied. Both copies and the originals need to be certified by an authorized member of your community. Authorised individuals include:

  • Magistrate
  • Justice of the Peace
  • A person before whom a Statutory Declaration may be made under the law of the state in which the Declaration is made
  • Commissioner for Affidavits
  • Commissioner for Declarations
  • A registered medical practitioner
  • A lawyer/solicitor
  • A postal manager
  • Australian Postal Corporation Officer with 5 years of service
  • A bank manager

Once you have obtained the certification, you can submit the copies with your application forms. Failure to obtain proper certification will render the document invalid in the eyes of DIAC and result in an incomplete Visa application.

How to certify documents

Once you have found a qualified person who has agreed to certify your documents, it is necessary for them to give a number of details in writing.

The wording should be:

“I certify this and the following xx pages to be a true copy of the original as sighted by me.”

This statement should be followed by the:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Telephone number
  • Position or official title of the person certifying the documents

The document must be signed by the person certifying your documents; they must initial each page.

AMMA Migration Services

AMMA Migration Services is a registered Migration Agent and can assist businesses or individuals in the application, submission and processing of visas through the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

AMMA’s migration experts understand the specific requirements of the resources sector and provide seamless, cost-effective services.


From 1st October 2006, the Department of Immigration (DIAC) allows authorized migration agents both in Australia and abroad to act as certifiers of migration documents. They must follow the same procedure described above. For more information about Migration Agents visit the DIAC website.

Other useful information can be found in our Visas to Work and Live in Australia section. 

Mining Jobs

Careers and Industry Guide

Mining & Metals
Oil, Gas & Energy
Alternative Energy
Living & Working in Australia
Career Resources
Training and Development

Contact Us

Mining Oil and Gas Jobs Blog RSS Feed Mining Oil and Gas Jobs on LinkedIn Mining Oil and Gas Jobs YouTube Mining Oil and Gas Jobs Twitter Mining Oil and Gas Jobs on Facebook

International Association of Employment Web Sites Member
alyka web design perth